Waste & Recycling

What Can I Recycle?

Kerbside collection of household recycling 

Yellow Lid Bin - Bin Icon


Rigid plastic containers

Juice and milk cartons

and cans

Glass bottles and jars

Aluminium foil and trays

Aerosols (empty)

NO light globes

NO clothing or fabric

NO e-waste or batteries

NO soft plastics

NO polystyrene foam

Empty, clean and dry materials only.


Lids, bread tags, pen lids, bottle tops and other smaller items can be collected in a larger
container of the same material type.


No plastic bags. Even when they have recyclable items in them, plastic bags and all their contents will be sent to landfill.


Soft plastics (plastic bags, chip packets etc) are a huge problem for recycling sorting facilities because they are light and flat, they can get caught in machinery and also contaminate the paper stream. Currently soft plastics need to go into the blue general waste bin.


Recycle these items by taking them to one of our four Waste and Recycling Depots Free of charge:

  • E-waste unbroken
  • Scrap metal
  • Batteries
  • Fluorescent tubes and globes
  • Engine oil
  • X-rays removed from envelopes
  • Cardboard in domestic quantities
  • Unused or old paint via the Paintback program*
  • Aluminium coffee pods*
  • AgVet chemical containers (empty and clean) through the drumMUSTER program 
*Goolwa Depot only
For a fee
  • Broken e-waste
  • Car tyres and off rims (Recycled through TyreCycle
  • Empty gas bottles
  • Waste fill (domestic quantities)

Hard waste collection for large bulky items such as furniture is not provided by any of the councils on the Fleurieu Peninsula and is charged at the depot according to waste type and amount. Please see the current price list for your council area here

Councils Working Together