With your help, the Fleurieu Peninsula and Kangaroo Island region have significantly impacted the amount of rubbish going to landfill.
A 4% reduction in blue bin waste resulted in a staggering 360 tonnes of rubbish diverted from landfill.
Simon Grenfell, Executive Officer from Fleurieu Regional Waste Authority (FRWA), said, ‘The positive results for the 2022-23 financial year show the ongoing commitment from the community, member councils and FRWA.
‘Working together to improve processes, actions and understanding, is making considerable progress. A 19% (1559 tonnes) increase in food organics garden organics (FOGO) resulted in the main improvement. It’s exciting to see this level of development. With your efforts, the region is leading the industry and making significant environmental gains.’
FRWA facilitates waste services for:
- Alexandrina Council
- City of Victor Harbor
- District Council of Yankalilla
- Kangaroo Island Council.
Some of FRWA’s developments during the 2022-23 financial year included:
- Establishment of new kerbside waste collection cycles 2023-24
- Introduction of the Summer Recycling Program
- Increased roadside collection by removing several bin banks
- Increasing FOGO collection to parts of Hindmarsh Island
- Relocation of a collection truck to the Yankalilla Depot. The relocation improves services and response times while reducing fuel emissions.
To see your council area’s results, review the infographic above.